Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday 9 November 2014

Food Posters

Food posters:




I have realised when researching food posters, I prefer simpler less cluttered posters. I favour a food poster to have the subject  taken in a studio as opposed to on location, although if I were to take the photograph on location I would ensure only the subject to be in focus, as I think it should have the  full attention of the viewer, due to it being a commercial poster. I think text of a food poster should be minimal and straight to the point. Perhaps using only a phrase or the name the subject or brand. 

Different posters are created for different purposes depending on things like audience or culture. If you were to take a photograph of food based around for example, someone's religious preferences to food you would be creating a cultural link between the poster and audience to whom it concerns. 

To entice someone in to your poster you must consider who your target audience is and how it is going to affect them on a personal level. For example you wouldn't sell coffee to entice a child. Sometimes when you see examples of things being put into practice, it’s easier to visualize what you have to do yourself. The image/subject must be appealing to an audience. Different audiences consist of different ages, sexes, religions etc. 


Most of the food posters I have looked at have been contemporary, although I have done further research into historical food posters to see if posters today have any links to how they were in the past. After looking at historical food based posters I realised the majority of them were drawn or painted I believe this was because not many people at the time using photographic techniques that we use today. Either way they were well received by they're audiences. I think something that contemporary food photographers creating posters have taken on board is the simplicity and minimal text that is used frequently today.



Poster 1:

With this poster the subject, the Heines ketchup bottle, is placed in the centre of the frame instantly showing dominance over the poster. This whole image minus the text was taken in a studio with a red background to compliment the bottle, i think . Although you can't see the bottle as a whole you know what it is immediately due to the well known logo. This poster is trying to tell us that Heines ketchup is made with real tomatoes, they help portray this through using the stalk of the tomato. This poster has been extremely well received. 











Poster 2: 


With this poster the subject (the cookies) fills the whole frame; I believe that this image is shot in a studio. I think that the wooden surface that the subject is on compliments the image perfectly, I think it gives the image a rustic, homely feeling. I think that this poster is set for an adult audience as opposed to anything else a the image is quite serious and to the point. As the image is so dark I think the white text works extremely well creating great contrast on the poster.





Poster 3:

This is a food poster for Tefal's juicer. In this particular image it is showing how a fruit or vegetables can be turned into a juice using kitchen equipment, therefore it isn't exactly a poster for food alone but a different way in which to use it. This photograph has been taken extremely creatively and should be inspiring to many of its viewers. This photograph is aimed to connect with an audience of adults, as it is for kitchen equipment. 







Poster Typography

In regards to poster designs the text is just as much part of the end result as the image overall. I think you can use just text to make an appealing poster, although when using imagery I think a link between the text and image is necessary.

Different texts can gives off different vibes, that can give the poster a completely different feeling or reaction from the viewer.

 
Through researching food posters I have gained the understanding of what it takes to create an overall successful poster, I will take this information and use it in my final piece of work, to create an eye-catching, powerful poster.


No comments:

Post a Comment