Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday 12 November 2014

Task 1a: Historical and Contemporary Food Photographers

Historical and Contemporary Food Photographers



Beth Galton is the perfect example of a contemporary photographer; she takes food photography to an unusual level that is inspiring and eye-catching to the viewer and/or photographer. I think her project cut-food” is what intrigued me to look further into her work in food photography as a whole, taking in more projects and experiments she has worked with, although my mind always went back to the cut-food series. I have decided to try using this style of photography as an experiment in the future. Galtons photographs from this project have all been taken a studio to allow complete focus on the subjects.


Melissa Skorpil is a commercial food photographer based in Austin, Texas. She photographs food imagery for restaurants, catering companies, and ad agencies.  Something I’ve noticed whilst looking at Skorpil’s work is that every one of her shoots is completely different with the idea of; composition, locations, colour or food genre. I find her work to be quite interesting as she takes everyday foods and gives them depth using shadows and props, although I have noticed that her background are always minimalistic I think that this is to ensure the viewer’s focus stays on the subject. Skorpil's photographs vary between studio and location food photography, although I find both successful. In location photographs what ever scene or props that are used have some connection with the main subject, making the overall image compliment itself. 




Gareth Morgans is a highly experienced food photographer. His work is mostly used commercially through promotional posters (Costa), in food magazines or catalogues. I think that Morgans can definitely be described as a diverse food photographer who has many styles of work, using many different techniques, most in which I find successful. I find his work quite inspiring as being new to food photography I found his work very relatable, and would love to use some of the techniques I have seen in future projects. The types of photography based on location change vastly with Morgans images. For the commercial images the subject is often taken in a studio. Although in many of his magazine shoots they are based on location, which I think is successful for the message and techniques he is trying to put across. 





David Daniels is a portrait photographer, although over the last few years has started to branch out into landscape and food photography. I find Daniels photographs 








William Henry Fox Talbot is a historical photographer and one of the first to actually photograph food without knowing in the future it would become how we know it today. Talbot created imagery through exposing photographic paper through baths like we have in a darkroom. Talbot often used photograms with his photography. I would love to use darkroom methods to experiment with foods.







Irving Penn is a well-known fashion and portraiture photographer although along with these genres of photography he also worked with food photography, in the same unconventional way he does in his other images. The composition of Penn’s food photography is extremely inspirational due to its unusual nature, especially for its time. I’m sure that Penn has influenced many contemporary photographers today.












Edward Weston was a well-known landscape photographer that has also worked briefly with food photography. Weston’s photographs, being black and white, are very dramatic. His images are often in the centre of his frame I think this is to add intensity and depth to a simple subject.






With food photographers I find contemporary photographers to be more inspirational as to compete in food photography today you must create something unconventional and interesting; with new techniques, environments and audiences. Although I find historical photographers had little to use yet still produced a dramatic image using shadows and compositions and most of all darkroom methods, in which I would like to experiment with using food in the future.






No comments:

Post a Comment